Saturday, December 7, 2013

Life in Hong Kong

I meant to write earlier..

Part procrastination, part overworked-from-work-leaving-me-no-time-to-sit-down-and-blog. 

I've been in the beautiful, wonderful, fast-paced, intense city of Hong Kong for 33 days/a little more than a month now. It was such a hard decision moving here but I honestly feel like I've gotten to know myself so much better. It also feels like it was something that needed to happen before I settle down or else I would never be satisfied. Although this move is temporary, it was still hard to get up, and just leave. The period from the moment Amar dropped me off at the airport to when my mom arrived in Vietnam was the hardest, thinking about all the things I'd miss back home. Not only Thanksgiving and Christmas (which I definitely did not think about before booking my flight *No Thanksgiving or Christmas feasts ( ̯ )), but also my niece and nephews birthdays and watching them grow, going home for dinner with my parents, having lunch with my mom, waking up next to my favorite person in the world, the list goes on and on. However, this experience has taught me so much and if there is one thing I am certain-- it's that I will never work an entry-level position in Hong Kong. If I am coming back later on in my career, it will be as a professional in my field. 

Let's start with what's happening right now and work our way back, shall we?

As of right now, my days of the week looks like this. Every week.

Monday
6:30AM Alarm goes off.

6:45AM Crawl out of bed looking like that ^.
6:45AM Change into my gym clothes. Brush teeth and wash my face. 
7:00AM Walk down to the gym.
7:00AM 20 minute workout to wake up so I don't slip/fall/die/fall asleep in the shower. 
7:30AM Shower/get dressed/dry my hair.
8:00AM Walk back home.
8:05AM Run down to the MTR.
8:17AM Get to the MTR.
8:23AM Arrive at desired MTR stop. Now time to run to catch the 8:32 ferry.
Mornings usually look a lot like this, where the gate area is packed with people like sardines and once the last person gets off the ferry, they open the gate and these people rush on. Once the last person in that queue gets far enough past the gate, the gate closes and the ferry takes off. 
8:30AM Arrive at the ferry terminal and get on the ferry at 8:32AM ^. (The ferry leaves EXACTLY at 8:32. It pulls in and people get off at 8:30 and once everybody has gone through the gate and onto the ferry, it closes the door and pulls away from the dock. Super reliable-- that is since I haven't experienced riding the ferry while its raining or during a typhoon, but hopefully I never have to. 
8:47AM Arrive at To Kwa Wan ferry dock and book it to work.
8:54AM Arrive at work.
7:30PM-9:30PM Get off work. (Keep in mind, there is no such thing as OT pay for entry-level employees.)
The last ferry is usually like this ^. Super peaceful and quiet but that's because everybody is at home already. 
View from out the ferry's window.
8:30PM-10:30PM Return home via bus (1 hr ride or ferry then tram *below (more or less 1hr, but the last ferry is at 7:35PM). Eat dinner (my grandma sets aside a little of everything for her grandchildren ^___^ Home-cooked meals are the best!)
Only HKD$2.3, takes longer but it's relaxing, especially with little to nobody on board.
11:00PM Get ready for bed. Sleep

Tuesday
Repeat Monday.

Wednesday
Repeat Tuesday.

Thursday
Repeat Wednesday.

Friday
Repeat Thursday.

Saturday.
Repeat Friday, but I technically get off at 1PM but today (it's Saturday over here), I got off at 4PM. 

Sunday
Sleep in, run all the errands humanly possible, and dread for Monday's arrival.

#mylifeasofrightnow #untilApril

If there is a gym nearby with clean nice showers, I would highly consider sleeping in the conference room at night.

With that said besides being overworked and draining every bit of energy out of me, I do enjoy working as I am learning a lot. Both about working in Hong Kong and the culture. I thought I knew it before I moved here, but there's still so much to learn. 

I will get into more of what I have learned and such in later blogs when I have more time (is that even possible in Hong Kong?). But onto life before work (duration= one week). 

After my mom and I arrived in Hong Kong, there were many errands to run and my mom had many things she had to take care of so it was one thing after another. Busy busy busy, always on the go (much like the city itself). A few pictures I captured to show how I spent my week in Hong Kong before the hectic work life took me hostage. 
My mom usually comes back this time in the year because it's my grandpa's birthday in November. It's probably the second time in the past 10 years, I've been here to celebrate his birthday. He turned 88 this year with many more years ahead of him! 
I love that picture. The photographer (Me ^__^) captured the perfect moment. Cherishing it forever. 

I would think fruits in Hong Kong would be better than the ones we have in the States. But that's not very true.. Maybe because it's without preservatives lol! But above is a dragonfruit (which is one of my favs) but from Korea! And it's all purple. It also stains whatever that comes in contact with it (my hand and my tongue) and has no flavor what-so-ever. Strange! None-the-less, I've eaten so many persimmons and dragonfruits since I've been here, I don't think I can handle any for awhile. 

Hui Lau Shan is a franchise, much like Starbucks but instead of coffee and drinks it's Hong Kong desserts-- mostly consisting of fruits, specifically mangos. So yummy and they're literally everywhere in Hong Kong. Above is the mango delight with real mochi. Soooo good. 

I sent Amar those two pictures and he asked me, "Why are there so many people?" The pictures above were taken when I boarded the bus to go home in Causeway Bay. This is already nothing. At least you can see holes where people can fit. I can't wait until Amar gets here so he can experience Hong Kong during rush hour, especially since he greatly values his personal space. Bahaha. 

Ever since I've been here, I've spotted so much of Andy. #makesmemissfattyevenmore

That is all for today. I'm counting down to the day Amar arrives and the day my break from work begins! Beijing adventure coming up soon but before that work is about to get real crazy (as if it hasn't already) because we are one of the main sponsors for the Hong Kong Expo, therefore, the days before the Expo (next week) will be hell on earth. Wish me luck! 

To conclude experiences good and bad I can say this,


Disclaimer: All this would not be possible without the support of my family, boyfriend, best friend, friends, and loving co-workers. 

xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment