Monday, April 14, 2014

Is it really mid-April already?!

I can still remember the first month I was here, which was November.
5 months down.
Excuse me while I lay down for a second to process that.
Time really does fly. I still remember growing up here.
Last Monday was my last full official day at work in Hong Kong. It was such a bittersweet moment and the end of a very memorable, once in a lifetime experience. There were definitely ups and a lot of downs, but I had a goal and I was able to accomplish it. For that, I am grateful. I am grateful for all the wonderful people that I was able to work alongside with and got to form great friendships with.

As my treat for my coworkers who have bailed me out of trouble countless amount of times, I was able to have Sift hold Red Velvet, Salted Caramel, and Carrot cupcakes for me the night before (they were still super fresh and very moist the next day when they ate them!)
Although I am sad to be leaving, it was time to move on. I was talking to my (ex)coworker and she asked me a really interesting question. She asked, "I know I'm selfish.. but have you ever thought about staying?" My answer was simple, "All the time." I said before in my other posts that I wish there was a possibility to make the gap between HK and SF closer or maybe being in two places and living in both places at once (half of that is possible, I guess, if I have enough money to afford that kind of lifestyle). After 5 full months, it has occurred to me that Hong Kong people are such hardworking people. But it's to the point where hardwork does not equal reward or any benefits to themselves. I have not only seen my coworkers work overtime 5 to 6 days a week, some days from 9am until 10pm, but I have experienced it as well. My cousin doesn't come home until 2am at least twice a week (not because he's at happy hour). It just made me wonder, what is the motivation? There are so many variables that factors in. Is it really worth working until you get really sick (whether its from a real sickness or just wearing your body down/overworking)? I guess growing up in both worlds and finally realizing the difference is really shocking. The standard of living and the balance between life and work is much more relaxed in the US than here (you're probably thinking duh but it never occurred to me that there was such a huge difference). Anyways, the question my coworker asked sparked this internal debate inside listing the reasons WHY I should stay and the many many reasons why I need to cherish this experience, move on, be successful in what I have in store for myself in the future, and be able to have the luxury to stay in Hong Kong for however long I wish. 

One more day until I fly off to Korea! Stay tuned lovelies.
xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment